The Home School Link is a Unsupported Portal, information below provide some work around on some issue Student and Staff might face.
Your username MUST be prefixed with cathay\. for example, if your username is jbloggs you should enter cathay\jbloggs into the username field.
Once you are logged in you may click on the appropriate icon to access your 'My Documents' folder or the 'Learning Resources' area. If prompted to enter your username and password for a second time, please do so as before ensuring your username has the cathay\ prefix.
Note: Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8
Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8 might work, but is unsupported.
To use the school's remote access system your computer must meet one of the following specifications:
- Windows XP SP2 with Internet Explorer 6 or later (Additional Requirement Below)
- Windows Vista SP1 with Internet Explorer 7 or later (Additional Requirement Below)
- Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8 (Unsupported)
For Windows XP and Vista Only
Additionally your computer should have Microsoft Office 2003 or higher installed. If you don't have Microsoft Office 2003 or higher installed you will need to download and install Microsoft Update KB907306.
Working with your files if you don't have Microsoft Office
You may find that you cannot open a file because it was created with software that is not on your home computer (or with a newer version of the software). For example, if you only have Microsoft Works at home, you will not be able to work with Powerpoint files. Rather than buy the full version of Microsoft Office, you may like to install Open Office, a completely free open source office suite, which is fully compatible with Microsoft Office files. You can download it here.
The Link should work with any Internet connection, but for the best performance we recommend broadband.
Occasionally the Link is unavailable whilst Cathays High School's internal network has essential maintenance taking place.
Troubleshooting the Link on a PC
If you still can't see your files, despite successfully entering your username and password, check if you are experiencing one of these known issues :
- For Windows XP and Vista Only: You receive an error message saying "Documents in this folder are not available" - you need the Microsoft Software Update for Web Folders, available for download here.
- For Windows XP and Vista Only: Your network space loads but appears completely blank - you need the Microsoft Software Update for Web Folders, available for download here.
- For Windows XP and Vista Only: You are using Internet Explorer 7 and your home computer drives are displayed rather than your network space - you need the Microsoft Software Update for Web Folders, available for download here.
We recommend that you follow normal "safe practice" when accessing the Internet - use up-to-date antivirus software, a firewall and anti-spyware protection. If you share your home computer with others (or log in from an insecure location such as an Internet Cafe) we recommend that you do not tick "Remember My Password" or "Save This Password" when prompted for your network details. When you have finished using the Link, make sure that you close all browser windows.
If you experience any problems using the Link, please email
. It helps us if you can include a screenshot of any error messages you receive. To take a screenshot on a PC, press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (on the top row, just to the right of F12). Then open any graphics program or word processor and paste in the screenshot. Either include it with your email, or print it out and bring it to the IT Support office at school.
Click here to go back to the main Link page